Permits, Licenses & Forms


 Bartenders License/Operators License

Any person 18 or older who is selling or serving alcohol beverages in an establishment with a Class A, B, or C license, must obtain an operator's (bartender's) license, unless the person is:

  • The individual (not LLC or Corporation) who holds the liquor license, their spouse, and any adult children or parents if they reside with the license holder.
  • The agent of a liquor license held by a LLC or Corporation.  
  • Anyone under the immediate supervision of an individual (not LLC or Corporation) that holds liquor license, the agent of a license, or a licensed bartender.  "Immediate supervision" means they must be able to see the activities and transactions of those without a license at all times.  It is not enough for the person supervising to merely be on the premises.

In order to obtain a license you must provide a Beverage Server Training Certificate or proof  that you have held an Operators License within the last 2 years. 

 Building Permit Fee Schedule

At its May 12, 2020 Meeting, the Village Board approved the attached fee schedule.  The column "GEC FEES" is what our Building Inspector charges the Village for his review of projects.  The Village has an additional fee of 25% to cover our costs; therefore, the total fee paid by the resident appears under "FEES."

 Fireworks Permit

The purpose of this form is to allow Village Residents to apply for a permit to set off fireworks in the Village limits.  (If your street address number begins with a letter, then you live in the Town of Merrimac, and you are not eligible for a Village Fireworks permit.) 

You should start your application at least 7 days before you want to have your fireworks.


  1. Return your application to the Village Office along with the $25.00 permit fee.
  2. Submit a $50.00 refundable cash deposit (or) proof of adequate liability insurance. 
  3. Once your application is complete, it will be forwarded to the Merrimac Fire Chief.
  4. If the Fire Chief approves your permit, it will go to the Village Board President for signature.
  5. You must have your permit with you during your fireworks launching.


Legal Without A Permit:  State law allows the sale, possession and use, without a permit, of sparklers not exceeding 36 inches in length, stationary cones and fountains, toy snakes, smoke bombs, caps, noisemakers, confetti poppers with less than ¼ grain of explosive mixture, and novelty devices that spin or move on the ground. Wis. Stat. § 167.10(1). There is no age restriction on the sale, possession or use of these devices and the statute does not classify them as fireworks. These are the only kind of “fireworks,” as that word is commonly used, that a person may use or possess without a permit in the Village of Merrimac or that may be sold to a person who does not have a permit.
Illegal Without A Permit:  Possessing or using any other fireworks, including, for example, firecrackers, roman candles, bottle rockets and mortars, in Wisconsin without a valid permit is illegal. Wis. Stat. § 167.10(3). A commonly used rule of thumb is that a permit is required if the device explodes or leaves the ground. The sale of these restricted fireworks to a resident of this state without a valid permit is also illegal. Wis. Stat. § 167.10(2). In order to use these items in the Village of Merrimac, you must have a fireworks permit issued by the Village.  An adequate and appropriate safety zone is required.  There must be at a minimum 70 feet of separation for each 1 inch diameter of a shell.  General liability insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 is required for the permit.  The Village Fireworks permit fee is $25.00 with a reimbursable $50.00 deposit fee.